.::036 : reasons vs excuses::.

The issue of "reasons and excuses" has been my never-ending conflict since before. Sometimes, I myself wasn't able to differentiate between those two. Quite often in my life, I wasn't sure whether i am giving reasons or just making excuses. So, what's the difference actually?

Hmm...after examining the issue through the process of cognition, I think I have found the answer - the answer that may only be applicable for me. Some people may agree with me while some others may not. This is just a matter of opinion, perspective, personal view - no right or wrong - maybe.

Okay, here is my interpretation of "reasons vs excuses"

Reasons
- people give reasons rather than create it .
- normally facts-based / supported by evidence.
- reasoning is one the criteria in higher order thinking process.
- often conveyed in a confident manner with higher level of certainty.

Excuses
- people usually make / creat / construct excuses.
- frequently have no solid base / constructed based on creativity.
- higher order thinking? no comment. maybe will be included in future studies sooner.
- often conveyed vaguely with some degree of uncertainty. sometimes they are ambiguous and need clarification.

**Those criteria are not plain generalization. Note the use of adverb of frequency. hehe.

So, what exactly my point here? I don't know. I just think this issue is quite interesting as many people including me are actually confuse with these two concepts. For example, assuming you missed your Subuh prayer, what will you say then? Not to other people but to yourself. Will you give reasons or make excuses? I don't know. Responses like "I overslept because I slept late last night" or "I heard my alarm clock rang, but I just could not wake up" are sometimes difficult to categorize - which is which? It's for us to think.

There's a lot more examples to illustrate the complexity of this issue. Assuming it is prayer time and you said you'll pray later because you want to finish your homework first. Assuming you are invited by a friend to perform a tarawikh prayer together and you said you may not going to perform tarawikh prayer on that night you have not study for your test tomorrow. Assuming there is an islamic talk held in the mosque near your housing area and you said you are not going to join it because you have attended it once. All these responses shared one similarity - all of them are answering the question of "why" but which of those "because ...." can be considered as reasons? Or are they merely created excuses?

Hmm...all of those responses were basically collected from my own reseach with me being the participant (some responses are modified to suit the context of discussion...hehe). I would admit that I always make excuses when I think I am giving reasons. But, with self-realization, I hope I would get over all those excuses after this especially when it comes to "seeking for mardhotillah". I have to be firm with myself - no more tolerance. Even if I were asked to do "negative" things, I think I should start giving reasons rather than creating excuses as an indication of my refusal. With good reasoning, I think other people will pay more respect to me. That's my point =)

Moral of the story: Let us stop making excuses. Be more critical - reasons are better than excuses. It's better to say nothing rather than give lame excuses. (aduh...menusuk jiwa sendiri..huhu)